[pydotorg-www] International Symbol - request for addition

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 09:29:33 CEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Carl Trachte <ctrachte at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am writing to request the addition of the attached jpg with a link
>>> to the Python Wiki's Languages page to the python.org homepage.

I thought you'd like to put developers/contributors as well as
organizations and donors on this map.

This pixelated jpeg is of very bad quality - it reminds me about those
ancient pages with animated gifs and HTML 2.0 markup. Is there a
hi-res source for it to make a .png?

>> It's easily done, but I'm not sure where to put the graphic.
>>
>> Here's a draft that adds it in two places, to both the left and right
>> sidebars.
>>
>> http://www.amk.ca/files/python/world.html
>>
>> The left-side problem: that portion of the page template is from the
>> standard site template, so adding the graphic there will put it on
>> every single page.

But it looks nice there.

>> The right-side problem: that side is already very full; where do we
>> want to put the graphic?  I've put it below the house ad but above the
>> 'so-and-so uses Python'.  If it goes below the 'Using Python for...' box,
>> the graphic will be hard to notice.

It looks out of place between boxes. It also makes front page even
more skewed to the right. Right side is already long enough
http://python.org/

>> Proposal: maybe we should just drop the 'Using Python for' box
>> completely?  Or maybe it's OK to put the world map on every single
>> page, on the left-hand side?

I'd make "uses Python.." and "What they are saying..." mutually
exclusive showing only one at a time.

> My preference is for right side where you put it with minimal text
> (Non-English or Non-English Python Resources).

"About Python in Other Languages"
"Python in Other Languages"
Detect browser language and show localized "Python in English".

> My rational is that
> 1) whoever put Summer of Code and Uses Python there felt they were
> important enough to have the top spots.

I.e. there won't be pixelated jpegs above any of there. =)

> 2) having a link from anywhere on python.org directly to the Languages
> page on the wiki is more than what is there now.

I.e. we need at least one i18n link in the site.

> 3) having it on every page IMO is overkill.

People will have the motivation to transform it into something better later.
Later this can be transformed into localized blog newsfeed (when we
get site logins for storing preferences).

--
anatoly t.