[pydotorg-www] Docs development entrypoint (Was: [docs] Mailing list dead pile and private lists)

Georg Brandl georg at python.org
Sun Apr 25 15:04:24 CEST 2010

Am 25.04.2010 14:10, schrieb anatoly techtonik:
> "There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it."
>
> Current status:
>
> docs at python.org - public support mailling list
> docs-sig at python.org - non-intuitive development name, but it's
> documentation development group

Non-intuitive or not, it is a SIG and therefore that name is the
right one.

> Web pages:
> http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/doc-sig/status/
> http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/doc-sig/
> http://www.python.org/dev/doc/

Just an entry page that refers to all other resources.  I've updated
it to serve its purpose better.

> http://docs.python.org/bugs.html#documentation-bugs
> http://docs.python.org/documenting/index.html
>

> I see problems:
> - too many entrypoints (hard to maintain)
> - no main entrypoint with this list for maintenance
> - ML members do not have access to update status / collaborate
> - no web access to ML
>
> I propose:
> 1. have doc@ alias  (I had troubles remembering correct doc@ or docs@ name)

Can't hurt; I'll contact the postmasters about that.

> 2. rename doc-sig@ to doc-dev@ (or docs-dev@?)

As I said above, this change is not useful.

> 3. merge various HTML pages (including mailman) into one/two
> entrypoint page and allow community update it
> 4. 3 obviously requires a Wiki page

I agree that the doc-SIG pages are outdated.  I will ask the SIG coordinator
what we should do with the old content, and then update the pages
accordingly.

> 5. add web posting interface with OAuth/OpenID support (Google Groups,
> anything else?)
> 6. add custom search form for doc development archives and docs
> (twisted has one for mailman)

Those two are not specific to the docs list(s); you're going to have
to ask the postmasters if this is feasible.  (I guess not.)

> (I still don't understand people who don't like web interfaces, but
> still firing email agent to fill their GUI email form fields that is
> no different from web-based except that fields are not autofilled
> using browser cookie).

I don't understand what you mean, sorry.  Mailing lists are called that
for a reason.

Georg