[pydotorg-www] Analytics

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Sun Apr 25 22:49:07 CEST 2010

On 25/04/2010 21:35, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>> The problem is ultimately trust, and I don't trust Google not to abuse
>>> the data they collect. In principle, they could do much more powerful
>>> analysis for themselves, correlating accesses of a single user across
>>> multiple sites.
>>>
>> Right - so paranoia rather than a rational argument.
>>
> It also is a rational argument. How do you know Google does *not* abuse
> the data? How many users will dislike python.org because of its use of
> Google analytics, because of these wide spread concerns?

I mean nothing personal by this debate - as I'm sure Martin is aware. We
merely have a difference of opinion. I would still hold that if you
contend that the use of google's services are subject to "wide spread
concerns", and will put off a large number of potential users who
haven't already blocked google's services, then the balance of proof is
on those claiming this.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--