[pydotorg-www] python.org ecosytem

will kahn-greene willg at bluesock.org
Mon Apr 26 22:07:00 CEST 2010

On 04/23/2010 03:50 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://pycon.blogspot.com/ is a blog for announcements from PyCon(s).
>> http://pycon.blip.tv/ has the PyCon videos.  They also show up
>> at http://python.mirocommunity.org/, but I don't know how that happens.
> python.mirocommunity.org is the effort of Will Kahn-Greene and a few
> other maintainers.  The site snarfs up rss feeds from various sources,
> videos get reviewed for appropriateness and tagging by a handful of
> moderators.   I am one of them, but so far have not done anything.  I
> wouldn't be surprised if Will has done 100% of the work.  I know he
> has indexed some of the PyCon lighting talks, which is fantastic.

Just to clarify this a bit, Python Miro Community finds videos through a
series of video searches that I set up coupled with me going out and
adding conference video (Plone Conference, PyCon, ...) by hand.

The PyCon 2010 video isn't totally up on Python Miro Community, yet.
I've been working with Carl and the PyCon-AV team to get there, but
haven't had time in the last couple of weeks to spend on the site.

So far, Carl and I are the only curators for Python Miro Community.  I'd
be interested in expanding this group and/or getting paid to curate it
(allowing me to spend more time on it).  I haven't had time to really
figure that out, yet.

The site exists because I feel there is a need for a central curated
index for Python-related video.  There's a _huge_ amount of value in the
metadata that gets added to these videos when they're accepted to the
site--that metadata makes it easier to search and navigate video
material to find what you're looking for or even passively consume it.
I talked with Steve Holden about the site before I created it.  I don't
have any idea if anyone is really finding it useful, yet.

Python Miro Community runs on Miro Community which is an AGPL licensed
Django-based system developed by Participatory Culture Foundation.  More
details about Miro Community here:

The Miro Community project will very likely see the benefits of
Universal Subtitles project as well as other projects PCF is working on
with Mozilla, Wikimedia, and other organizations.

PCF kindly hosts Python Miro Community for free.

I hope that covers things.  I also run the GNOME Miro Community and I'm
now a GNOME Foundation member and work with GNOME Marketing to help them
make the most out of the site.

If you have any questions, thoughts, or concerns, let me know.