[pydotorg-www] FWD: Wiki Internal Server Error

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Wed Aug 11 00:42:31 CEST 2010

* "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
> >> I think this would be difficult to implement. The process just gets
> >> killed by the kernel when it is over CPU quota.
> >
> > I think it's a bit odd that requests are routinely taking so much effort to
> > process. I managed to get the 500 error page editing pages today, although
> > the pages were saved correctly.
>
> Well, one such page is TitleIndex. I don't know how MoinMoin computes it
> - but it surely is expensive to compute, given the size of this Wiki.
>
> Of course, any proposals for tuning the installation would be much
> appreciated.

I'll ask without knowing what ever has been done before to control the load.
Has anybody ever checked if pages could be

- on 2 servers and a load balancer upfront
- cached by a proxy or in memory
- served by a faster more leight weight http process
- rendered to a static version that will be rebuild only from time to time
- split into smaller chunks

Those are first things that come to my mind when I think of dynamic websites
that eat to many computer ressources.

p at rick