[pydotorg-www] FWD: Wiki Internal Server Error

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 11 00:58:47 CEST 2010

> I'll ask without knowing what ever has been done before to control the load.
> Has anybody ever checked if pages could be
>
> - on 2 servers and a load balancer upfront

Not at XS4ALL, no. However, using more processors might already help -
no need for multiple servers.

> - cached by a proxy or in memory

That likely won't help. MoinMoin already caches on its own; it's the
generation of pages that need to be regenerated is what costs CPU.
Also, it would be difficult to determine what exactly can be cached, and
for how long. MoinMoin caches on disk - caching in memory likely won't
matter much.

> - served by a faster more leight weight http process

I fail to see how this could possibly help. It's Python processes
consuming 30s and more per request that take the CPU. Apache doesn't
matter at all here.

> - rendered to a static version that will be rebuild only from time to time

That might help, but it would defeat the point of a wiki, with
instantaneous updates.

> - split into smaller chunks

Not sure how to do this.

> Those are first things that come to my mind when I think of dynamic websites
> that eat to many computer ressources.

I'm personally skeptical that any of these can help.

Regards,
Martin