[pydotorg-www] FWD: Wiki Internal Server Error

Radomir Dopieralski sheep at sheep.art.pl
Thu Aug 12 22:37:27 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I can start changing the macros on the category pages, and prepare a
>> robots.txt file with a list of potentially expensive pages --
>> if those solutions are accepted.
>
> These sound fine to me. I'm a bit skeptical about the robots exclusion:
> many of the expensive operations are queries, right? and those can't
> be blocked by robots exclusion.

Moin already blocks robots from queries. The problem are canned
queries embedded in wiki pages as macros.

>> I can  also help
>> configuring Varnish, or just provide example configuration.
>
> I'm really skeptical about any proposals to do caching, because I just
> don't believe that those pages that will get cached contribute to the
> load in any significant way. It's rather the pages that will *not*
> get cached that cause the load, or, if they get cached, they contribute
> to user confusion as they don't update in the way in which they should
> update.

That is really very specific to the website -- that's why you need a custom
configuration each time. I agree that the outcome is uncertain for the
work involved.

--
Radomir Dopieralski, http://sheep.art.pl