[pydotorg-www] [PSF-Members] Old Xserve system (macteagle)

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sun Aug 15 05:34:06 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 01:03:20PM -0400, Steve Holden wrote:
> On 8/13/2010 12:12 PM, Cameron Laird wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:21:15AM +0200, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
> > 			.
> > 			.
> > 			.
> >> Some while ago, Apple gave an XServe system to Guido as a gift (?),
> >> which is now sitting mainly unused in Amsterdam. XS4ALL has now asked
> >> that it is remvoed from the rack.
> >>
> >> Would anybody like to host this box, and use for some PSF purpose?
> >> (I vaguely recall somebody already offered doing so, but forgot
> >> the details).
> > 			.
> > 			.
> > 			.
> > Hmmmm.
> >
> > I'll wildly speculate that several groups (Tkinter maintainers?
> > 3.x-vs-2.x compatibility verifiers?  ...) would love even remote
> > access to a well-maintained Mac OS host.  I doubt that I'm in a
> > good position to judge what the optimum outcome of this episode
> > is.
>
> Maybe Titus Brown's team could be persuaded to host it? They already
> have a large heap of rusting iron that comprises the hopefully not
> entirely defunct Snakebite farm ...

I've already offered remote login access to an iMac in my lab; that's
newer and faster and ... <crickets chirping>.

I think we need people to actually do the work.  Hardware does not seem
to be the primary blocker on this kind of stuff, as far as I can tell.
If it is, the PSF would be better off buying a developer a Mac laptop,
so that they can actually test things like Tkinter directly.

cheers,
--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu