[pydotorg-www] Archives corruption

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jul 7 15:36:20 CEST 2010

On Jul 07, 2010, at 01:12 AM, Paul Boddie wrote:

>I've been looking at the Mailman code and the Mailman.Archiver code in
>particular, although I'm still not sure whether it makes sense to take
>the gzipped archives from mail.python.org and try and process them in
>some way.

Probably not by itself, since the message-ids are not embedded in the html.  I
think you'll want a tar of the private archives directory, so that you can
unpack the various pickles to try to work out which message-ids are assigned
to which sequence numbers.  The problem with that of course is that with a
regenerated archive, those mappings won't be correct any more.

Maybe if we knew when the regen occurred, we could get some backups and try to
reverse engineer those mappings.

yeah-it-sucks-ly y'rs,
-Barry