[pydotorg-www] Updates to Jobs HowTo page

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Wed Jul 21 23:17:42 CEST 2010

I just noticed this while cleaning up my inbox, missed it when it
arrived, sorry.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:44, Martin Thomas <martin at martinthomas.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM, David Goodger <goodger at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:37, Martin Thomas <martin at martinthomas.net>
>> wrote:
>> > I have made a number of changes to the jobs howto page
>> > (http://www.python.org/community/jobs/howto/):
>>
>> And I made some further improvements.
>
> Thanks.
>>
>> I note that your changes put more text up-front. This discussed a
>> while back, and IIRC we agreed that this would have the effect of
>> fewer people getting to the most important part: the template. It will
>> be interesting to see what effect these changes have.
>
> I took advantage of the fact that the template viewed on the webpage is
> in a highlighted block. In addition to adding some text, I also trimmed a
> little.  I wanted to remove the volunteer paragraph.. do we really need that
> on both pages?

I think that point needs more emphasis, not less. I'm tired of seeing
reminders from impatient job posters. But it's near the end, so I
doubt many will make it to that point in the instructions. If anything
needs to be up-front and boldfaced, it's that.

-- David