[pydotorg-www] A new planet for user group blog postings!

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 15:43:57 CEST 2010

On Jul 28, 2010, at 11:54 PM, Stephan Deibel wrote:

> Alex Clark wrote:
>> Right, but the point is… we know no one cares about user groups :-) We're trying to get people to care about user groups ;-). In particular, we're trying to empower user groups and one way to do that is to give them a spotlight of sorts.
>>

>> Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "way too many". Can you have too many user groups? You can certainly have a hard time keeping track of them all (and keeping the list current), but that's a different story…
>
> I think people are interested in user groups, but their interest is limited to first finding one or a few groups near them and then following just those groups.  A world-wide feed of all groups doesn't seem like an interesting thing to me either, though I may just not be getting why I would care what all user groups are doing.

There would be several benefits to having a single place for all Python user group news:

1. It would celebrate the fact that the community encourages user groups.  Given the recent discussions on the PSF members list about establishing a federation of regional/international foundations to work with the PSF, local user groups are going to become more important since they are a likely source of members and organizers for those new foundations.

2. People interested in finding a local user group would have a place to look. We do have a wiki page for user groups now, but I don't know how up to date it is.  The first step of this project might be to update it and incorporate the results into

3. Members or organizers of user groups who want to enhance their meetings to find new activities would have an easy way to learn about those.  The second phase of the project, after the new planet feed is established, would be to encourage members of the user groups to write about their meetings.

4. User groups who want to collaborate and set up speaking tours, regional conferences, sprints, or other combined activities would have a place to advertise.  These sorts of notices could go on the existing planet feed, too, but see #2.

5. Non-members would have a way to find out about upcoming activities being run by groups near them, but perhaps not in the same town.  See #3 and #2.

All of these uses are different than the existing planet feed, which is predominantly aggregating posts written by individuals about their own work.  The tone, and potential audience, for the new planet may be different than a heads-down technical audience of the existing planet.

Doug