[pydotorg-www] A new planet for user group blog postings!

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Thu Jul 29 18:07:37 CEST 2010

On 29/07/2010 17:04, Alex Clark wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Doug Hellmann
> <doug.hellmann at gmail.com <mailto:doug.hellmann at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Jul 29, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Aahz wrote:
>
>     > On Thu, Jul 29, 2010, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>     >> On Jul 28, 2010, at 11:54 PM, Stephan Deibel wrote:
>     >>>
>     >>> I think people are interested in user groups, but their interest
>     >>> is limited to first finding one or a few groups near them and then
>     >>> following just those groups.  A world-wide feed of all groups
>     doesn't
>     >>> seem like an interesting thing to me either, though I may just
>     not be
>     >>> getting why I would care what all user groups are doing.
>     >>
>     >> There would be several benefits to having a single place for all
>     >> Python user group news:
>     >>
>     >> 1. It would celebrate the fact that the community encourages user
>     >> groups.  Given the recent discussions on the PSF members list about
>     >> establishing a federation of regional/international foundations
>     >> to work with the PSF, local user groups are going to become more
>     >> important since they are a likely source of members and
>     organizers for
>     >> those new foundations.
>     >
>     > Perhaps your purposes would be served by broadening your
>     proposal?  We
>     > could make this an aggregator for "community news".  We would
>     explicitly
>     > label it as specifically for user group news in addition to e.g.
>     > conference news, sprints, and so on.  The python.org
>     <http://python.org> news feed could
>     > then be one of the first sources.
>
>     That makes a lot of sense.  We could pull posts from the blog for
>     the new sprint project Jesse is organizing and the pyfound blog
>     (maybe limited to a specific tag, to avoid cross-posting everything).
>
>     Alex, what do you think?
>

> Sure, if I understand correctly there is agreement to the idea of a
> new planet for "community news", and http://python.org/news/ would
> feed to it, as would any UG that wanted to.
>
> I also pictured this "community news" feed going to planet.python.org
> <http://planet.python.org/> at some point, if it proved successful.

I would expect several of the news sources to *already* be aggregated on
planet python, so we couldn't just pull in the feed wholesale. It sounds
like there is consensus that a community news feed will have value on
its own - but we should maintain them separately.

Feeds in the community news planet can be added to the main planet
individually.

All the best,

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/