[pydotorg-www] Embedding the Google Python Release Schedule calendar

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jun 26 00:41:13 CEST 2010

On Jun 26, 2010, at 01:35 AM, anatoly techtonik wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> I've updated the Google Python Release Schedule calendar.  I think it would be
>> nice to embed it either on the front page or on the /dev page.  It's an
>> iframe, which probably means something to someone on this list <wink>.
>>
>> Here's what Google tells me to use to embed the calendar:
>>
>> <iframe src="http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=b6v58qvojllt0i6ql654r1vh00%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York" style="border: 0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
>
>"Python community" didn't like the idea some 6 months ago.
>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-February/097698.html
>
>But it is present at http://wiki.python.org/moin/SiteImprovements as
>"Add release timer and calendar to Core Development page" task.
>
>Still I am glad you find it useful too.

I only see one response in that thread, so "community" might be stretching it
a bit. :)  Still, I'm not saying we should do anything automatic, just embed
the iframe on the dev or front page.

Also, this isn't just for python-dev.  I think anybody who cares about Python
releases would care about timelines and don't want to have to pour through
three PEPs to find all the relevant information.  Of course, it's up to the
release managers to keep the calendar updated (or just make me do it :).

-B