[pydotorg-www] User Profiles

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed May 5 09:33:16 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Ethan Schoonover <es at ethanschoonover.com> wrote:
> Just a follow up note to say thanks to everyone for the excellent
> feedback yesterday. If anyone has more ideas, please continue to add
> to this thread. I'm in the process of collating the brainstorming into
> a more structured review of visitor types and will have further
> questions this week.

Seems like we've completely left out social and professional aspect.
Besides developers, scientists and students, python.org is visited by
- designers, government folks, consultants, home users, engineers,
media folks, people from financial sphere, network administrators,
lawyers, military professions, office workers.

Social are gender - men and women. Age - 10 to 70 (it would be
actually interesting to read an interview with the oldest Python
user).

Bounce ratio - how many users find site interesting. There 2 kind of
site users - returning and new. Majority of new site users don't know
anything about p.o site at all. However, the majority of site users
are returning.

Age groups can be analyzed also by view and experience. I suppose that
in age group of 30 and up there are usually people with vast
development experience and conservative views. In group under 30
there are people who monitor what's going on in Internet and know
recent trends. Group under 23 are active Internet users who know or
have accounts in about almost every modern Internet service, but do
not have development experience to see how these services works. There
is a strong correlation between age and amount of new things people
aware of/tried. It is because more experienced developers are more
busy with work, they often have children and a lot of errands to run,
hence almost no time. So, 90% of Python Developers category are also
"people with no time". =)
--
anatoly t.