[pydotorg-www] [PSF-Board] Vanished link for AFL v2.1

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Fri May 21 15:38:07 CEST 2010

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> That is the license under which the PSF licenses everything to 3rd
> parties. There are a number of reasons why we don't recommend others
> use this license; there are also a number of reasons why we can't
> change the license the PSF itself uses.

I'll just add to this some history:  We certainly tried to get rid of
some of the license stack in the PSF license but it's at least difficult
and more likely hopeless.  Some of the entities involved no longer exist
and it's not clear where their copyright ownership rights went.  This
means we're stuck with the licenses under which we received the various
parts of Python and cannot ask the copyright holder(s) to relicense it
to us under a different license.

Actually, the way to get rid of some of the stack is to completely
rewrite the code covered by those portions.  Maybe that would eventually
happen, although it would take some doing to be sure the old code is
really gone.  It's just much safer and easier not to try this.

Anatoly, I hope you've figured out the differences between copyright
ownership and licensing from the other responses.  Copyright ownership
is the sudo of intellectual property.  You can't do everything but you
can do a lot.  Also, contributing to the PSF does not mean giving up
your copyright ownership.  I got the impression maybe these things were
at the core of your objections/questions/concerns.

I do feel like this is all made clear on
http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/ -- if not suggestions for improving
that would certainly be constructive.

- Stephan