[pydotorg-www] jobs.python.org?

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Tue Sep 14 12:13:40 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Michael Foord <mfoord at python.org> wrote:
> I don't have an issue with it being done, but also wonder what is gained by
> having a subdomain rather than a url.

When we added docs.python.org, the expectation was that it was easier
for people to remember; I don't recall how that conclusion was
reached.  Whether we'd reach the same conclusion today, I don't know.

What we ended up with was docs in two different places that had to be
updated in two different ways, and was confusing for users.  The
maintenance pain only got worse when the main www.python.org site was
changed to be built in a different way (pyramid).  I'm not sure how
much duplication of effort is currently required.

I'd be quite wary of expecting such a change to be an improvement, and
would definitely expect it to generate confusion among users.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at acm.org>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein