[pydotorg-www] Making list membership public

Josh Kupershmidt schmiddy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 00:40:55 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 1:00 PM, A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> On python-dev, it was noted that this list...
>> ... has hidden its membership (even to members). Does it really need
>> to appear that secretive? At least the message archive is open and has
>> all the usual suspects.
>
> Any objections to making the subscriber list public?  It seems
> harmless, especially since the archives are public anyway.

Hope I'm not misunderstanding something, but if you're proposing to
publicly make available the names/emails of everyone on this list, I
really don't see the utility. Why would anyone, other than a spammer,
need this information to be posted in this way? Yes, I know that many
folks' addresses are going to be in the archives anyway. But why make
life easier for spammers, and much worse for lurkers, whose addresses
might not be so public?

Not to mention that when people signed up for the list, the form
explicitly said "This is a hidden list, which means that the list of
members is available only to the list administrator". It seems
impolite, at best, to renege on this promise.

Josh