[pydotorg-www] Proposal: dev.pypi.python.org

Richard Jones r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 00:39:13 CEST 2011

Hi all,

How about we set up a second instance of PyPI on dev.pypi.python.org.

It will have a completely separate database (except for users) and
package/docs store. We'd want the user list to be identical or there
could be problems. Having the dev system use the primary system's user
database might be easiest.

It would be used for:

- people just mucking about, testing out package upload. Head First
Python readers, for example.
- devs trying out PyPI API code or new tools
- projects wanting to pre-release code or docs could upload them to
this system and point bleeding-edge testers at it

and possibly other uses I've not thought of.

Except for the user database bit I believe this should be simple
enough to set up.

There could even be proper support in command-line upload tools to
work on the "dev" system. Not a requirement though.

Thoughts?

     Richard