[pydotorg-www] Proposal: dev.pypi.python.org

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:32:13 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Richard Jones <r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> That sounds awesome, especially for testing tools that have to interact
>>> with pypi.
>>
>> Actually, for testing tools, I think the requirements are quite
>> different: you want concurrent runs of the same test case on multiple
>> machines, so you need to make sure they don't collide.
>>
>> So for that use case, I rather suggest to setup an installation that
>> allows dynamic creation of PyPI instances, each one good for only an
>> hour. Their URLs would be test.pypi.python.org/<generatedid>.
>
> I believe such tests should be run against a mocked PyPI so the test
> has complete control over responses and error cases.
>
> I believe there's general agreement that a dev.pypi.python.org is a
> good idea. We just need to figure out the details. I'll take the
> technical discussion offline with Martin unless there's any
> objections? No, I'm not writing a PEP for it (unless someone from the
> PSF Infrastructure Committee requires it).

http://dev.pypi.python.org is cool. Just don't forget to document it
on http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopDev

For selenium/functional tests a local copy of stripped DB is usually
sufficient. I don't see a reason for server side test environment for
them - local machines usually work faster and require only one
instance configuration.

--
anatoly t.