[pydotorg-www] [Pydotorg] Python.org front page

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Apr 14 23:58:38 CEST 2011

On Thursday 14 April 2011 22:30:56 Steve Holden wrote:

> If I can find time I will check it out and take a look once it's done - let
> me know. I think having real code (maybe with a link to an annotated
> explanation, if the feature proves popular) on the home page would be an
> amazing draw.

Having real code on display is very useful to people who want to "cut to the
chase", so upon hearing about a programming language, people can immediately
see what it looks like. Take the latest "hot language", Ceylon... well,
that's a bad example unless you find the Wikipedia page or the now
well-publicised slide deck, so let's take the somewhat similarly motivated
Fantom language instead...

http://fantom.org/

One can immediately discard it or investigate it further upon looking at the
snippet and realising that it looks a simplified, statically-typed Java-like
language. Actually, that's not a bad project page for people who want
concentrated facts. Maybe some inspiration can be drawn from it.

Paul