[pydotorg-www] how to set up redirects

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Wed Feb 9 18:36:44 CET 2011

Hey, everyone!  As the "SEO Czar" for PyCon 2011, I noticed that the top
Google result for "pycon registration" was this ancient page consisting
entirely of broken links:

http://www.python.org/community/pycon/register/

Mr. Kuchling helped me check out the Python web site source code to
learn more about the situation.  At first I thought I would just edit
the page to provide links to the current PyCon 2011 registration page;
but, after looking more closely at the situation, am I now thinking that
I should not privilege PyCon North America that way, but should instead
ask that all four of the following pages become redirects to either the
www.python.org/community/pycon/ page or to www.pycon.org (but which?):

/community/pycon/register/
/community/pycon/register-early/
/community/pycon/register-onsite/
/community/pycon/register-regular/

Does anyone else have an opinion about the fate of these old pages, and
where they should go today?  And: how do we set up redirects on the web
site?  By checking in a change to a special file that gets copied to an
Apache or nginx config?