[pydotorg-www] how to set up redirects

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Feb 9 19:01:05 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 12:36:44PM -0500, Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> Does anyone else have an opinion about the fate of these old pages, and
> where they should go today?  And: how do we set up redirects on the web
> site?  By checking in a change to a special file that gets copied to an
> Apache or nginx config?

The pages are no longer useful, I think.  PyCon is not likely to use
the PSF's ancient donation CGI, and the PSF is likely to replace it
within the next year.  The ../register/ could just go to www.pycon.org
with a RedirectPermanent, but I think it'll drop out of search indexes
quickly once that's done.

You can't add redirects through the SVN checkout; someone has to tweak
the web server.  (build/redirects.txt is long out of date and not
used.)

--amk