[pydotorg-www] Leaving pydotorg

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 11 09:05:55 CET 2011

Ladies and gentlemen:

This note marks a turning point in my (unpaid) career with the PSF. I have been a subscriber to this list and its predecessor for many years, and in many ways regard it as the engine room of the Foundation.

The web is our primary communications channel with the outside world and the main and most trusted source of information in the world about the Python programming language; I imagine that the jobs board is probably the premier place to find professional Python users with all kinds of other skills. Seeing the daily buzz across this channel has kept me in constant touch with the Foundation's vibrant roots, and convinced me even on my down days that my work for the Foundation is worthwhile.

The PSF has grown immensely since I first joined, both in numbers and in scope. There have been problems, both financial and organizational, to overcome, and I think we have met those challenges and begun forward progress once more. Personal business (i.e. looking after my own financial interests for a change) mean that I have less time to devote to Foundation affairs. Sadly pydotorg is the channel that occupies most bandwidth.

If I were not confident that you are perfectly capable of self-management I would be more concerned about this change, but I believe we have forged the makings of a great editorial team. As the Foundation continues to change and grow I know that you will rise to the challenge of representing its ever-increasing breadth and (I trust) diversity. I hope that technology will eventually emerge that allows us to open the editorial role much more broadly, and to have the website managed by a representative subset of the Python microcosm.

Thank you all, for everything you have done and continue to do. You all know where to reach me, and I hope I will continue to hear from you regularly.

regards
 Steve