[pydotorg-www] Disabling advocacy.python.org

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Fri Jan 14 11:19:47 CET 2011

On 01/13/2011 11:59 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> advocacy.python.org is unmaintained, and it is down most of the time.
> It's presence still creates a maintenance burden, so I'd rather delete
> it from DNS and the Apache configuration. The data would remain in
> place, in case somebody wants to reuse them.
>
> Objections?

Andrew Kuchling hosts the official Python podcast/videos recordings
(/data/www/advocacy/podcasts/) through the advocacy.python.org domain
(http://advocacy.python.org/podcasts/ ).  If you remove its DNS entry,
all those links are broken.  Those files are served by Apache from the
filesystem and don't depend upon the Zope server behind the site being up.

I would not have thought one DNS entry and a few lines of Apache a
maintenance burden.  Those lines of Apache config are sitting in a
/etc/apache2/sites-available/advocacy file and not in anyone's way.

What stops the site from being up is someone w/root access to add it to
the system startup scripts.  Perhaps that would improve its chances of
being maintained.

Or if you would prefer, retain just the DNS entry but point it to my
server (192.67.63.140) and I'll take responsibility for hosting and
maintaining it.  I can grab the 1.9G of podcast data too, if Andrew is
fine with that or we can host it under a different python.org domain and
I'll add a URL redirect from advocacy.python.org to it my Apache's
config.  I'm fine with hosting it myself - it gives me more control, and
I know it has bothered you in the past from previous emails.

-Jeff