[pydotorg-www] Repeated outages of python.org

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jul 25 14:18:37 CEST 2011

Michael Foord wrote:
> On 25/07/2011 12:26, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>> I have a very strong
>>> preference for keeping the archives public unless we absolutely have to.
>>> I'd rather offending messages were scrubbed from the archive than the
>>> list archives made private.
>> That's not possible, I'm afraid, since the list archives on python.org
>> are not only being picked up by Google, but also other sites which
>> then co-host them, e.g.
>>
>> http://markmail.org/search/?q=pydotorg-www#query:pydotorg-www
>> list%3Aorg.python.pydotorg-www+page:1+state:facets
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/pydotorg-www@python.org/info.html
>> http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.pydotorg-www
>>
> That's only if the archives are left long enough for the spiders to pick
> them up. Not guaranteed to prevent information leakage but may be
> sufficient in individual cases.

It seems that those sites are directly signed up to the mailing
list, so there is no lag which could be used to scrub such
messages.

Making the archives private wouldn't solve this either.

>>> What I often do is browse the archives, having to log in is a nuisance.
>>> I also link to discussions on the list - making them private effectively
>>> prevents that as people have to join the  list just to view the
>>> archives. Occasionally when I can't find a particular discussion I use
>>> search to find it.
>> Well, then what do you recommend to keep such infos off the net ?
>>
> Not posting them to a public list! Plus having policies and security
> infrastructure in place that does not allow harm due to accidental
> revealing of information.
>
> This could just as easily have been posted to python-list or some other
> public list, we should have policies in place to cope with this.
> Whatever those policies are should apply to this list.

True. I'm just not sure how this could be done, though. The only
way appears to be moderation, but that's not really feasible without
a whole team of moderators.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 25 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/