[pydotorg-www] Repeated outages of python.org

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Mon Jul 25 14:27:55 CEST 2011

On 25/07/2011 13:18, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Michael Foord wrote:
>>> That's not possible, I'm afraid, since the list archives on python.org
>>> are not only being picked up by Google, but also other sites which
>>> then co-host them, e.g.
>>> http://markmail.org/search/?q=pydotorg-www#query:pydotorg-www
>>> list%3Aorg.python.pydotorg-www+page:1+state:facets
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/pydotorg-www@python.org/info.html
>>> http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.pydotorg-www
>> That's only if the archives are left long enough for the spiders to pick
>> them up. Not guaranteed to prevent information leakage but may be
>> sufficient in individual cases.
> It seems that those sites are directly signed up to the mailing
> list, so there is no lag which could be used to scrub such
> messages.
> Making the archives private wouldn't solve this either.

>>> Well, then what do you recommend to keep such infos off the net ?
>> Not posting them to a public list! Plus having policies and security
>> infrastructure in place that does not allow harm due to accidental
>> revealing of information.
>> This could just as easily have been posted to python-list or some other
>> public list, we should have policies in place to cope with this.
>> Whatever those policies are should apply to this list.
> True. I'm just not sure how this could be done, though. The only
> way appears to be moderation, but that's not really feasible without
> a whole team of moderators.
I meant policies to deal with the results of actual information leakage
(plus "social policies" to prevent it happening) - not moderating every
message to every public list we run!

May you do good and not evil