[pydotorg-www] Wiki theme enhancements (Re: Upgrades completed)

Radomir Dopieralski sheep at sheep.art.pl
Fri Mar 4 09:15:52 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:37 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've switched to new EuroPython theme and must say that it looks
> rather strange (see screenshots). The Frontpage is highlighted even
> though I am not on the front page.

But you are on th front page. The fact that moin shows you your user
settings doesn't change the fact that you are still on the front page.
When you close the settings, you will go back to the front page.

> The history bar is confusing and is
> not visually separated from current page name. ISTM they should have
> at least different font sizes.

It is visually separated by:
 * horizontal line
 * different background
 * different font weight (normal vs. bold)
 * different font size (12px vs. 14.5px with my settings, but that
depends on your defaults).
I'm open to suggestions on how I could visually separate it more (the
obvious solution of adding more vertical space doesn't work if you
want to keep the layout of python.org).
The page location (moin doesn't show a "page name", you must put the
page title on the page yourself) is placed in the same place as on the
python.org website.
The breadcrumb trail is placed in a traditional place (python.org
didn't have it). I can place it somewhere else, suggestions accepted.

> I'd also prefer menu font, button size and button text capitalization,
> logo alignment to be consistent with the main site/tracker.

I will try to work on that over the weekend. As I noted, the theme was
created some time ago, and there has been changes on the python.org
since.
As for button text capitalization, that's a translation thing -- you
would have to change it in all MoinMoin translations... I can try
doing it with CSS though.

> I find it hard to see if I am subscribed to the page or not. Locating
> the edit link also takes time. I must say that I'm quite used to
> MoinMoin breadcrumb of modernized theme. We have a lot of header space
> that could be put to a good use.

This is something I didn't change -- it's like this in the default
sidebar moin theme.
Do you have any specific ideas of how it could be improved?

By the way, if you prefer the modernized theme, by all means use it --
you can select it in your user preferences.

--
Radomir Dopieralski, http://sheep.art.pl