[pydotorg-www] Fwd: Accepted: RE: Python Developers

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 02:37:23 CET 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 9:04 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Am 25.03.2011 01:35, schrieb Doug Hellmann:
>> oDesk want to add a link pointing to Python job listings to our Jobs
>> page. Does anyone have an opinion about whether or not to do it? Is
>> there a formal policy?
>
> IIRC, the formal policy is that we add the link if it points to a
> well-filtered list of Python-specific jobs (which makes this
> a chicken-and-egg problem :-)

I did explain to them that we would have to have a Python-specific page to link to, and that we didn't have anyone to set up or maintain it. He initially wanted me to "sponsor" a group which sounded like a request for money, but from looking at the site I'm not sure that was really the case.

> I don't know what oDesk actually does (ISTM that they list
> professionals, not jobs); if they are a job aggregator, we

Yes, I think you're right, they seem to be pitching it differently from most job sites. They still do have job listings, though, so I think it is more a matter of marketing than anything.

They are focusing on contract positions, so what if I propose that we link the text "oDesk (Contractors)" from the menu on http://python.org/community/jobs/ to the URL they create for their Python group?