[pydotorg-www] Obsolete content in the /dev section

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Mar 26 22:46:28 CET 2011

This is an issue I originally brought up on the python-dev list here:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/122072

> With the transition to the new devguide, references to the main page of
> the old dev section of the website, http://www.python.org/dev/, redirect
> to http://docs.python.org/devguide/, the main page of the new guide.
> However, many links to some obsoleted sections of the old dev section
> are out in the wild (and showing up prominently in Google searches) and
> the webserver still seems to be serving up those obsolete links even
> though they appear to have been deleted from the www repo, for instance,
> the old links previously under Core Development on the left margin bar:
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/faq/
> http://www.python.org/dev/setup/
> http://www.python.org/dev/tools/
> etc
>
> I was going to suggest that the webserver be changed to redirect all
> /dev/* references to /devguide/ but then I noticed that's it not that
> simple as there are other valid links still under /dev:
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/
> http://www.python.org/dev/pydotorg/
> http://www.python.org/dev/searchplugin/
>
> So I think there are two issues here:
> 1. deleted webpages cached by the webserver
> 2. adding redirects from /dev/{faq|setup|tools| et al } to
> docs.python.org/devguide

I subsequently mentioned this to Georg on IRC and he successfully made
the deleted webpages turn into 404's, I assume by deleted the stale
files somewhere on the webserver.  But then I noticed a day later or so
that those deleted files had returned again.  So apparently there's a
caching issue somewhere that doesn't handle files deleted from svn.

I also looked into the redirects and I see that Brett (who made the
original changes to support the new devguide) had checked in a set of
redirects to trunk/beta.python.org build/redirects.txt, the final
version is at  svn up -r13620.  However, subsequently,
build/redirects.txt has been deleted from svn (I'm guessing it wasn't
really being used on the main server?) and it appears that the final
state of those redirects are not currently in the production server
config.  Can somebody please add them and make the deleted files go
away?  Thanks.

Here are the /dev redirects from the -r13620 (I have not investigated
the other redirects in it):

/dev/patches/ http://docs.python.org/devguide/patch.html
/dev/faq/ http://docs.python.org/devguide/faq.html
/dev/contributing/ http://docs.python.org/devguide/#contributing