[pydotorg-www] FWD: EDU-SIG Page Typo

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 23:11:52 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 1:36 PM, <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    aahz> I forget who's maintaining the edu-sig page -- please update it

If you look at the bottom of the page, the last line (excluding the common
footer) reads

Send suggestions for changes to the edu-sig list or to andre.roberge at
gmail.com.

>    >> On this page:
>    >>
>    >> http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/edu-sig/
>    >>
>    >> It links to:
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>
> http://www.springer.com/mathematics/numerical+and+computational+mathematics/book/978-3-642-02474-0
>
> I looked but don't see that Springer link:
>
>    % egrep springer.com community/sigs/current/edu-sig/content.ht
>    * `Python Scripting for Computational Science <
> http://www.springer.com/math/cse/book/978-3-540-73915-9>`__ by Dr. Hans
> Petter Langtangen
>    .. _`A Primer on Scientific Programming with Python`:
> http://www.springer.com/math/cse/book/978-3-642-02474-0
>
> In fact, the link you gave *does* work for me.  Hopefully I have both of Dr
> Langtangen's book links straightened out now.

I don't see a problem with the links listed on the page either.

>    >> Also, on edu-sig, there is another resource worth mentioning: Zed
>    >> Shaw's Learn Python The Hard Way:
>    >>
>    >> http://learnpythonthehardway.org/index
>
> I am less inclined to add this link.  In fact, I think it would be better
> if
> most/all of the external links on the edu-sig page were moved to the Wiki,
> probably somewhere under the Beginner's Guide:
>
>    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide
>
> Eric, would you be interested in taking that on?  If so, let me know when
> you have copied the content to the wiki and I'll clean up/decimate the
> edu-sig links

Personally, I don't think that Zed Shaw's link is of particular interest for
the edu-sig community.

And, if you want to "clean up/decimate the edu-sig links", please remove the
note to contact me with suggestions for changes.  And it probably would be a
good idea to also send an email to the edu-sig list explaining the reasoning
for the change.

André