[pydotorg-www] release page

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Oct 5 06:49:57 CEST 2011

In article <20111005011533.GA31907 at datl9makuchling.home>,
 "A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 08:00:17PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > >That would be great. It would need to be co-ordinated with the release
> > >managers, so that they can update the aliases when they do releases. If we
> > >had a dynamic site we could make it automatic of course.
> What if we rewrote the /download/ tree to be a standalone site using
> blogofile (http://www.blogofile.com/) and then set up rewrite rules,
> or moved everything to download.python.org?  That way release managers
> wouldn't need the entire python.org tree, and they might find
> blogofile easier to deal with than our custom script.

In my experience in updating the release pages, the format and the
process seems pretty simple and straight-forward so I don't think moving
just the /download tree is worth the effort.

The only non-transparent thing I've run into so far is when the need
arose to add rewrite rules or aliases at the web server level.  I
couldn't find a way to do that via the svn repo (not unreasonable) but
requests on the list to get someone to help went unanswered and it still
is not clear who to turn to for such matters.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org