[pydotorg-www] outage report

Patrick Ben Koetter p at python.org
Wed Sep 28 07:13:30 CEST 2011

* Charles McLaughlin <cmclaughlin at atlassian.com>:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>
> > Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > > I've had an outage report for python.org via twitter. It's working for
> > me, but the reporter says "traceroute drops at
> > te5-4.swcolo2.3d12.xs4all.net" and they aren't able to connect to the
> > site.
> > >
> > > Is anyone else seeing an issue?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > In such cases, I'd suggest to use a tool like Looking Glass to check the
> > availability from many different parts of the world:
> >
> > http://www.traceroute.org/
> >

> Also http://pingdom.com/ offers basic monitoring from all over the world and
> it's free for one site.

I am not sure if I mentioned it before, but Ralf and I happen to work together
with Michael Schwartzkopff, who is an expert in network and network
monitoring. Michael offered to hook all pydotorg machines up to a
Nagios/Zabbix/openNMS monitoring system. That would give us not only the
chance to monitor web services.

It's been a year since Michael and I talked about this, and I would have to
reconfirm he's still with us, but as I know him its more a formal thing to ask
him if he still sticks to that offer.

p at rick

--
Patrick Ben Koetter <patrick at python.org>