[pydotorg-www] [PSF-Board] License of website

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Apr 21 01:47:05 CEST 2012

Jeremy Baron wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 16:55, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>>>
>>> Should we add a notice to the edit page like Wikipedia's?  Wikipedia's
>>> reads:
>>>
>>>       By clicking the "Save Page" button, you agree to the Terms of
>>>       Use, and you irrevocably agree to release your contribution
>>>       under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 License and the GFDL. You agree that a
>>>       hyperlink or URL is sufficient attribution under the Creative
>>>       Commons license.
>>
>> Good idea, except we don't need the GFDL.
>>
>>> We'd still have the problem of getting a license to the existing wiki
>>> content.  Perhaps we could take a vote of the contributors with logins
>>> ("Are you OK with using license X?").
>>
>> How did Wikipedia manage the switch from GFDL to CC-BY-SA ? Perhaps
>> we could use the same approach.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Licensing_update

Thanks. Doesn't look like we can use such an approach.

I guess we'll have to just leave it as it is and just start
using the above to eventually end up with a CC-BY-SA licensed
wiki.

In theory we'd be able to use a robot to run over all pages
and identify the parts that are not yet under CC-BY-SA. Perhaps
we could make that an SoC or school project in, say, 3 years
from now.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 21 2012)
2012-04-28: PythonCamp 2012, Cologne, Germany               7 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/