[pydotorg-www] Removing /moin/ suffix from wiki.python.org (Was: Internal Server Error while reverting spam)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jan 5 12:11:40 CET 2012

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 6:38 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>
>> anatoly techtonik wrote:
>>> 7 days have passed since last message, so I presume there are no
>>> more objections to do
>>> required configuration changes.  Of course, it will be more obvious if
>>> people could directly
>>> say they are o.k. with it.  Should we leave this open for another 7 days?
>>
>> I'm still -1 on the change. It only helps people typing the URL and you
>> can get the same effect of saving those 5 letters by having
>> wiki.python.org
>> redirect such URLs to the /moin/ instance, without any complicated URL
>> redirection setup. Browsers don't really care whether the URL is long
>> or short and neither do mice :-)
>

> I find these -1 reasons are funny. =) I can repeat the counter-arguments
> that shorter URLs are better not only in address bars, but also for posting
> links and navigating search results, but the point is:
>
> - this configuration change is a one-time, standard, common, not-a-hack
> solution for a traditional problem, that MoinMoin is designed to resolve,
> and it is a small price of admin's time to make a small group of people,
> who also care about Python wiki feel a little bit more happy

I do care about the Python wikis being both an admin and user of
them, and I feel that the maintenance and documentation overhead
of your solution doesn't warrant the change.

> Common - you don't really think that the proposed redirection setup is
> complicated, do you? =) If some questions are left unanswered or the
> answers are vague - just repeat them, so we can clarify and remove the
> confusion.

If you can show that adding new wikis to this setup is easy and
doesn't require setting up new domains, I'll change my mind.

The way I read your proposal, it only works if you put the
wiki instances each under their own sub domain (with all the
admin and maintenance overhead that goes with it).

If you're after better navigation, it may make more sense,
changing the prefix from /moin/ to /python/, so that the
URLs read:

http://wiki.python.org/python/
http://wiki.python.org/jython/
http://wiki.python.org/psf/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 05 2012)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/