[pydotorg-www] Questions about the code located on your Wiki

Bill LeClair William.LeClair at demandtec.com
Wed Jan 11 02:27:45 CET 2012

Thanks for your help Michael,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Foord [mailto:michael at python.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:19 PM
To: Bill LeClair
Cc: webmaster at python.org; pydotorg-www
Subject: Re: Questions about the code located on your Wiki

Hello Bill,

The wiki is freely editable by anyone, and as such any piece of code may have originally been entered by anyone - or even have multiple authors. I've looked around, but as far as I know we don't have any automatic licensing for code posted to the wiki.

That means (unfortunately) that the code posted to the wiki is probably copyright whomever put it there. Small bits of code would probably not be copyrightable at all, but for larger sections of code the licensing position is unclear.

I'm afraid I can't help you with your specific question, but I'm sending this to the web team so we can consider an automatic license requirement for future code posted to the wiki.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil
May you find forgiveness for yourself and forgive others May you share freely, never taking more than you give.
-- the sqlite blessing
http://www.sqlite.org/different.html

Get Connected.
Save the Date for DemandBetter 2012