[pydotorg-www] PSF- Board Meeting Minutes -Approved- May 2012 - Please Post Online

Pat Campbell patcam at python.org
Tue Jul 17 22:42:32 CEST 2012

Hi Brian:

Thanks a bunch, Brian.

Also, I have made the correction in the May 2012 minutes on the spelling of
Noah Kantrowitz's name. The update is now attached.


On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Pat Campbell <patcam at python.org> wrote:

> Hi Pydotorg:
> Also, could you please add the June 2012 board meeting minutes online?
> Thanks,
> Pat
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Pat Campbell <patcam at python.org> wrote:
>> Hello Pydotorg :
>> I hope to help out with posting  items like the board meeting minutes
>> online in the
>> future, however, due to a current backlog in my work schedule :). Today is
>> my first day back from a week at the EuroPython Conference.
>> So, could you please post the following "PSF board meeting minutes"
>> online,
>> http://www.python.org/psf/records/board/minutes/  at the usual web
>> locations:
>> please see the attachment for the approved board meeting minutes for
>> May 2012.
>> If you have any questions, please let me know.
>> Thanks a whole bunch,
>> Pat
>> --
>> Pat Campbell
>> PSF Administrator/Secretary
>> patcam at python.org
> --
> Pat Campbell
> PSF Administrator/Secretary
> patcam at python.org

Pat Campbell
PSF Administrator/Secretary
patcam at python.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pydotorg-www/attachments/20120717/743846d2/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: Brd Meeting Min-June 18 - 25, 2012- approved.txt
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pydotorg-www/attachments/20120717/743846d2/attachment-0001.txt>
-------------- next part --------------
Title: 2012-05-21 PSF Board Meeting Minutes                
Encoding: utf-8
Author: psf at python.org
Content-Type: text/x-rst

.. declare custom role for action items:
.. role:: action

.. class:: minutes-title

| The Python Software Foundation
| Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors
| May 21, 2012

A regular meeting of the Python Software Foundation ("PSF") Board of
Directors was held over Group Video Calling via Skype and Internet 
Relay Chat beginning at 16:00 UTC, 21 May 2012. Van Lindberg and Steve 
Holden presided at the meeting. Pat Campbell prepared the minutes.

All votes are reported in the form "*Y-N-A*" (*in favor â?? opposed â??
abstentions*; e.g. "5-1-2" means "5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2

.. sectnum::
.. contents::


The following members of the new Board of Directors (11 of ll) were present at 
the meeting: Brian Curtin, Steve Holden, Andrew Kuchling, Marc-Andre Lemburg, 
Van Lindberg [arrived at 12:28], Martin von Löwis, Jessica McKellar, David Mertz, 
Doug Napoleone, Jesse Noller, and Tim Peters. Also in attendance were Kurt Kaiser 
(Treasurer) and Pat Campbell (Secretary/Administrator).

Minutes of Past Meetings                                                                   

The 30 April 2012 Board meeting minutes were voted on and approved.

   **RESOLVED**, that we approve the minutes at http://mail.python.org/
   mailman/private/psf-board/2012-May/017532.html as representing a true 
   and accurate record of the meeting.

Approved, 10-0-0.

Votes Taken Between Meetings                                                                                                                                 

There were no votes taken between meetings.

Treasurer Report                                                                                                                                                                                                                          															                                                                                           

The monthly Treasurer's Report was provided to Board members by K. 
Kaiser prior to the Board meeting and produced from Quickbooks Online.

Here is an exerpt from the treasurer's report on a few of the activities 
the treasurer has been focused on:

For the month of May 2012, the treasurer provided a sumation of the financial 
activities by saying:

     Our assets were up by 232K in April, reflecting the payments for PyCon
     registration and sponsorship.  This was matched by a similar increase in
     Accounts Receivable was down by 115K, reflecting payments by PyCon and
     PSF sponsors.  As of 20May, AR is 126K.
     Accounts Payable was up by 162K at the end of April due to several large
     PyCon invoices received around the end of the month.  As of 20May, AP is
     April continued to be extremely busy financially, but the P&L won't show
     much change until we recognize the results of PyCon 2012.  At that point
     (triggered by settling accounts with the convention center and the
     hotels, including room commissions) the accrued expense and revenue will
     move to the P&L and our assets and liabilities will return to normal
He reported on the revenue and expense below:

       In the month of April, YTD income was down by 4K, primarily due to
       payroll.  Total equity declined to 458K.
       Donations for the month were $11,150, including $905 received during
       PyCon registrations this year
       Linux AU             $1,593
       Kiwi PyCon              843
       SciKit/Learn Sprint   4,816
       Our expense for the SciKit/Learn Sprint will be covered by a $5000
       donation to the PSF by Google.
       Outside Services:
         Wendroff / QBOL         1,477
The treasurer goes on to say:     
     Most of my time was spent on paying PyCon vendor invoices, processing
     sponsor payments and working on completing the PyCon accounting detail
     in QBOL.  There was also an unusually large amount of Board interface
     and HR activity related to the organizational turn-over.
     PyCon payment activity appears to have wrapped up, and we are very
     close to being able to recognize the income from a very strong PyCon
Concerning the Associate Member Program (AM), he said:    
     Associate Member program:
        The website is available to accept Associate Member registrations.
        Andrew Kuchling has offered to work on improving the site content and
        the attractiveness of the Associate Membership offering.
        We still need to link psfmember.org to python.org, improve the
        attractiveness of the offering by adding content on python.org
        relating to the Associate Membership, and make the community aware of
        the opportunity.
Kurt concluded his report with a list of item the treasurer's office will  
be focused on, he said:     
   My focus is on PyCon wrapup, AR/AP reduction, and the increased activity and 
   strong interest in fiscal sponsorship shown at PyCon.

Progress Reports

The following board reports were submitted to the board mailing list
one week prior to this month's meeting. Please see a summary of each
board report listed below and a possible board discussion at the end
of the report(s):

Communication Status                                                              

B. Curtin, Communications Officer, reported on continued activities 
from last month. He reported:

   Brian is planning an email campaign with the Outreach & Education
   committee, and the PSF blog may be included in the resources
   discussed there.

Brian also reported on the new activities for the month. He said: 

   Two small posts went up this month. One announcing Steve's departure from
   the chairman position, and a belated announcement of the Q1 Community Service
   Now that the RFP is available, it was announced on the Facebook and Google+
He reported the following information on the planned activities for next month:

   1. Some form of announcement has been on the status reports of a few groups
      lately, and with the website RFP being announced this week, I will be
      putting together a "newsletter"-style announcement for the user group lists.
   2. Via Steve Holden, we have some information to put together a story
      about Python's use in schools from David Coopersmith along with a
      student of his named Isaac. The same story involves some
      praise for the trademark committee, which may or may not go into the
      same post.
   3. Post information about this summer's PyGames contest for students

As far as the ongoing projects for the month are concerned, he reported:

   1. Brian Curtin is working on a post about the video equipment
      purchased by the PSF and how it has been used to record conference
      talks and other events.
   2. Recruiting other people to help write for the blog.   
For tabled activities, B. Curtin said: 

   1. PyCon video equipment loan/rental program post
      There was some discussion of offering the PyCon video equipment to
      PUGs for their meetings, but the mechanism to do it isn't in place,

Marketing Material                                                                                                                        

M.A. Lemburg, Marketing Material Project Manager, provided a summary
of his work. He said:

   The project is lead by Marc-André Lemburg who is in contact with
   the people behind the Plone brochure created by the German Zope
   User Group (DZUG): Jan Ulrich Hasecke and Armin Stroß-Radschinski.

   We started working on the concept a few weeks after World Plone Day
   in April 2010 and had several meetings and conference calls to take
   the idea forward.

   For more details, please see the brochure support site at:


Marc-André also reported on the progress of his project when he said:

   We have made progress on getting the layout of the brochure
   finalized and will actively start a sponsorship campaign once
   we have the final version ready for public consumption, that is:
   finished the layout and received approval from the content providers.
   In order to help with one-to-one marketing the brochure we will
   have the remaining teaser versions of the brochure available at
   the EuroPython PSF Booth.
   Here's the link to the PDF of the teaser, in case you missed it:
   The online payment solution has been up since the start of
   PyCon US in March. We do have a few ad and reference sponsor
   signups, but no where near enough to start going to print.
   Most of the signups are from Germany. If the US folks don't
   hurry up, the reference list will be filled with German IT
   shops :-)
   If you are interested in signing up as reference sponsor,
   please contact us or visit us at the EuroPython conference
   to get a first hand intro to the brochure.
   Once we have the sponsors all signed up, we'll go to print with
   the brochure and have it distributed to the ad sponsors,
   reference sponsors, subscription sponsors and Python conferences,
   user groups, etc. via on-demand shipping.
   If you are the lead of a local user group, conference, educational
   institution and interested in receiving boxes with the brochure
   delivered to you at no additional costs, please contact the PSF
   or our team directly via brochure at getpython.info.
   Sponsor Options
   There are 8 half-page ads available in the brochure and
   we want to have 30-40 reference sponsor entries as well.
   All options are listed on our sponsorship page, and you
   can also order them online:
   The reference sponsor entries are meant for companies
   providing Python services, have a fixed layout and provide
   a great value for money: the companies will not only be
   listed in 10.000+ copies of the brochure, but they will
   also each get a box of around 120 copies of the brochure.
   Educational Sponsorship
   In case you missed it in the last report: we have also added
   a new sponsor option: the educational sponsorship.
   This works much like the subscription sponsorship where a company
   can order extra brochure copies at very reasonable prices. The
   difference is that companies can order extra copies for educational
   institutions of their choice or of the PSF's choice. The bill will
   be paid by the company and the boxes will go straight to the
   Please Help find Sponsors
   If you know possible sponsors or are interested in sponsoring
   the brochure yourself, please check the available sponsorship plans
   we have available:
   If you have questions, please ping me directly or write to
   brochure at getpython.info.

M.A Lemberg reported on the current issues the project is faced with.
He said:

   If you know of interesting projects or companies using Python
   to great things, please contact us and consider signing up as
   contact scout to provide on-site help at conferences or other
   and, if you're interested in the project, please consider signing
   up to our newsletter:
   Thanks !

As far as the future plans for this project are concerned, he reported:

   If the project goes well, we'll follow up with a second edition
   of the brochure, Python flyers using material extracted from the
   brochure, translated versions of the brochure and also consider
   creating marketing material more targeted at specific user groups or
   application fields.
   In the long run, we'd also like to take the idea of producing
   marketing material beyond printed material and develop booth
   setups, giveaways, CDs, etc. to support conference organizers and
   local user groups wishing to promote Python at their events.

Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront                                                 

The project leader, M.A. Lemburg, Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront,
reported on progress for the month:

"The project is currently on hold, since the team members don't have
time to put into this."

According to M. A. Lemburg, there is nothing new to report for this
month. He said:

"I'm beginning to believe that doing a sprint of sorts would likely
be the best way to move this forward, but I currently don't have more
cycles to spare (the brochure project has turned out to be very
work intense), so can't lead such an effort at the moment."

In terms of having any issues surrounding his project, M. A.
Lemburg reported no issues except one: he said, he just does not have 
enough time to devote to his Moving PyPI to Amazon CloudFront project.

M. A. Lemburg also reported on the future plans for this project:

"Check to see whether a trigger based approach to S3 syncing
wouldn't be easier to implement right from the start."

PyCon Chair                                                                                                                                                                                                           

J. Noller, PyCon Chair, provided us with information surrounding
the current status of the PyCon US affairs. He reported on the interim
period at the closing of PyCon US 2012 and the gearing up of PyCon US 

  "Not much to report this month: We are in the process of closing out the 
  2012 budget/books so the foundation can recognize the revenue from the conference. 
  We are in the discussion phase of 2013 based on what we learned from 2012, and I am 
  ramping up sponsorship discussions for 2013 behind the scenes.

  Until the books are closed for 2012 I am not comfortable with moving forward on 2013. 

  I have a larger blog post planned to discuss the conference overall - with over 2300 
  attendees, the conference was a wild success by any measure and feedback has been 
  positive modulo complaints about the food."

Sprint Committee (SC)   									                                      

J. Noller &/or B. Curtin, Sprint Committee Chair, reported that there
were no issues or blockages surrounding any sprint activities for the

As far as the continued activities from last month, he reported:


On his report of the new activities for the month, He reported:

   We heard back from the Rochester Institute of Technology group who
   sprinted last month that they had much less people than they planned,
   so they passed on our sponsorship in plans of going for a bigger event
   in July or August.
   We sponsored another sprint with OpenHatch in San Francisco for which
   we just submitted the reimbursement request. We also received a
   reimbursement request for the t-shirt purchase from a PyLadies-related
   sprint that occurred in Poland some months back.

In terms of the new activities planned for next month. He wrote:

   I'll cover this in the Communications status, but I'm rolling up the
   planned Sprints outreach into a mega-PSF newsletter type thing.
As far as the ongoing projects and the tabled activities for this committee, 
he reported:


Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

A. Riley, Google Summer of Code (GSoC), reported on the issues and/or 
blockages this program is currently faced with. He said:

   1. A handful of students requested by mentors did not fulfill
      the required first patch. I worked with some of them in
      the final hours of selections to get this fixed, students
      who did not respond or were unable to do this were removed
      from consideration. No exceptions were made.
   2. We had three students selected who were also selected by
      other Google Summer of Code mentoring organizations, all
      three were for GNU Mailman. Terri Oda (Mailman's lead
      mentor this year) negotiated with the mentors for the
      other organizations to keep all three. 

Arc also reported on the continued activities from last month when he wrote: 

   1. Student selections finished. Despite low application number
      this year I worked with the team at Google to get us an
      additional 6 slots (total 31) beyond our initial allocation
      of 25. Almost every student requested by a project under
      the PSF which met our requirements was approved.

A. Riley reported on new activities for the month. He said: 

   1. Community bonding period for accepted students. This ends
      today (5/20) as students prepare to begin their projects
      on Monday May 21st.
   2. Updating http://soc.python.org/ for this year's students,
      this should be complete this week.
As far as the planned activities for next month, he reported: 

   1. Keeping an eye on student blogs and email for any problems
   that arise as students are now working with their mentors.
Additionally, Arc reported on "ongoing projects" with the GSoC project and 
on "tabled activities", respectively:

Ongoing Projects

Summer of Code 2012 will be ongoing until August.

Tabled Activities

1. Discussion with rejected mentors regarding why they were
   not accepted this year.

Board Resolutions Formally Incorporated & Ratified                                     

   **RESOLVED**, that the Python Software Foundation Board of directors 
   formally incorporate and ratify all board resolutions on the resolutions 
   page (http://www.python.org/psf/records/board/resolutions/) and as performed 
   via email votes in between meetings as made in good faith as of 5/21/2012.
Approved, 11-0-0.   

RFP to Redesign Python.org Website

   **RESOLVED**, that the PSF accepts (OPTIONAL: revision 4f5516bdccb7 
   of) the Request For Proposals (RFP) document outlining the requirements 
   for an redesign and refresh of the current Python.org website, including 
   front-end user interface, back end publishing, and content creation system. 
   The RFP will be published publicly for solicitation, and submissions will
   be accepted per the "Proposal guidelines" section within the RFP itself. 
   This resolution does not bind the PSF to the acceptance of any single 
Approved, 11-0-0.

Membership Class Renamed 

   **RESOLVED**, that the "honorary associate member" membership class, created 
   by Board resolution on 2010-06-21, be renamed to "associate member".
Approved, 10-0-1.

   **RESOLVED**, that the Associate Member [membership] class shall be added to 
   the Bylaws as described in the board resolution of June 2010, defining the 
   Associate Member [membership] class as per-term membership with no voting 

Approved, 10-0-1.

Membership Application for Hood Media GmbH 

   **RESOLVED**, that the board recommends Hood Media GmbH as a pending sponsor 
Approved, 11-0-0.

The Appointment of a PSF Vice-Chairman

The board discussed the appointment of a Vice-Chairman for North 
America and a Vice-Chairman for Europe, Middle-East and Africa (EMEA).

   **RESOLVED**, that Jesse Noller be appointed Vice-Chairman of the 
   PSF for North America, and Marc-Andre Lemburg be appointed 
   Vice-Chairman of the PSF for Europe, Middle-East and Africa (EMEA).   
This discussion was deferred to email.

2012 PythonBrazil Conference Funding

   **RESOLVED**, that the PSF provide funding of USD 3,000 to sponsor the 
   PythonBrazil 2012 Conference to be held in Rio de Janeiro.   
Approved, 10-0-0.
Infrastructure Committee Appointed Chair                                     

   **RESOLVED**, that the board reauthorizes the Infrastructure Committee 
   consisting of Chair Noah Kantrowitz, Vice-Chair Sean Reifschneider, and 
   core members Arc Riley, Martin V. Loewis, to establish, maintain, and 
   upgrade computer and networking infrastructure related to the PSF and 
   python.org missions on the Internet.
Approved, 10-0-0.

2012-2Q Community Service Award Nomination   

Board members discussed and selected the two 2012-2Q recipients of the Community 
Service Award.

*[Details temporarily omitted from the public minutes, to be restored after the
Approved, 10-0-0.

Other Business                                                                                     



S. Holden adjourned the meeting at 17:14 UTC.

More information about the pydotorg-www mailing list