[pydotorg-www] Broken link to 'Enthought Python Distribution'

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:03:41 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> An exercise in Pike? A first look at the language - C with automatic
> memory management - I don't know why. =) Speaking about web server,
> the main goal looks like an abillity to update site in transaction, to
> continue serving old content while files on disk are updated, but..
> that's impossible without file system manipulation if server doesn't
> keep all files in memory.

This probably belongs off this list, so feel free to pester me in
private email about this - it's one of my passions :)

My plan for WarmPotato is that it be for dynamic sites, where they
actually have very little code or flat files, and the bulk of the
content is stored in a database. It then becomes not only plausible
but extremely sensible to keep all code in memory; it would change
comparatively rarely (compared to the frequency of requests), and it
simplifies updates. There's also a standard site-class file that runs
directly off the file system, which would behave more like your
typical web server (relying on OS/FS caching).

I'm using the barest fraction of Pike's in-memory-reload power with
that. A more common usage pattern is an online game, where every
little piece can be separately reloaded from disk; I run one where the
client connection, account management, and location description files
are all separate, and separate again are (individual) executable
commands and frobbable objects. Any one can be reloaded without
disrupting everything else. That's something that Python has never
really aimed for - importing of modules is largely assumed to be a
"hey look I need this functionality" thing, not a "load this code from
disk and swap it in" thing. Not that that's bad, but hey, I do like my
uptime :D

ChrisA