[pydotorg-www] Final draft of redesign RFP

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu May 10 14:47:28 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 07:45:04AM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> How is this going to work with the job board?

One major goal of the RFP is to make it easier to create sub-sites;
the RFP gives edu.python.org and mentors.python.org as examples, and
jobs.python.org would then be another such sub-site.

> I'm largely sure that I think the job board should split off into
> its own microsite at jobs.python.org. How do we go about making that
> happen?

The job page could be moved into its own repository -- I would include
all the templates and build scripts, too, so that the repository is
completely standalone. Someone on the infrastructure side would need
to set up the scripts/cron tasks/whatever to run a build after every
commit, as we do for www.python.org.  (This is the sticky point -- I
have no idea how quickly that task would be done.)  Finally the DNS
name jobs.python.org would be set up to point to the new build's
output.

> My gut feel at the moment is that it'll likely be easier all round
> to split the job board off into its own application and take it out
> of the scope of the RFP. This could initially be an ultra stripped

Note that the RFP doesn't explicitly mention the job board.  I see the
sub-site support as very important, even if the job board never uses
it at all.

--amk