[pydotorg-www] Securing "infrastructure" parts of python.org with SSL

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 29 14:45:41 CET 2012

Am 28.11.12 11:58, schrieb lists at nidelven-it.no:
> I'm looking into whether we can sponsor SSL-certificates for important
> python.org websites such as docs.python.org, wiki.python.org,
> pypi.python.org and www.python.org.
>
> For security reasons for us and community I'd like to see all of these
> (and maybe some other subdomains) secured, and setup to always switch to
> SSL, making the websites unavailable on http (which is just setup to
> redirect to https).
>
> Is that something you would consider?

Please understand that this is not primarily a financial issue. Instead,
this is an organizational problem, i.e. the administrative effort of
applying for the certificates, proving authenticity of the PSF, etc.
The PSF is readily able to actually pay for the certificates (although
donations are certainly appreciated as well).

Several people have offered to work on this on the past, and they all
have run away after some time. Consider that you will be working with
volunteers, which sometimes don't respond for weeks or even months.

So if you really want this, and would be available for the years to
come to keep it updated: contributions are welcome (details to
follow in this case).

Regards,
Martin