[pydotorg-www] Retiring catalog-sig

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Apr 1 17:48:38 CEST 2013

On Apr 1, 2013, at 10:10 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> CC'ing postmaster, who can do the mailing list thingies.

I've already started this process.  The old list has not been deleted, but is fully locked down from getting any more posts made to it, and the auto-responder has been turned on to tell everyone that all new posts should be made to the other list.

Assuming that folks still want the archives available, and therefore we leave this in place as a Mailman list that does not accept any new incoming messages, I'm not sure how we would set it up to forward all incoming posts to a different list.

So far as I know, only outstanding action that remains is to decide what to do with the list of subscribers to the old list.  My understanding is that most of them are already subscribed to the new list, so the easiest thing to do might be to do a mass unsubscribe, and included in that message would be an invitation to join the new list if the recipient has not already done so.

Other possibilities would include doing the equivalent of a "sort -u" on the combined subscriber list, remove all the recipients who are already on the new list, and then do a mass subscribe of the remainder to the new list.  At that point, we could do a mass unsubscribe for everyone from the old list, and not have to worry about inviting people to join the new one.

Anyway, I'm still waiting on feedback for that.  I want to do whatever we can to support the community in the way they want to be supported, but I'm not sure what type of method that this particular community would want applied to them.