[pydotorg-www] (PEP )?redirector service

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Feb 12 10:23:00 CET 2013

On 11.02.2013 21:31, Paul Boddie wrote:
> So, I think that peps.python.org is potentially a good idea and might be
> provided fairly easily with a rewrite rule, but too much magic is just not
> worth having: it's only when pages become completely undiscoverable
> that "guess the URL" becomes worthwhile, and then time would arguably be
> better spent improving navigation on the site concerned.
>
> Paul
>
> P.S. To take an example, typing dell.com/linux takes you to Dell's
> current "secret" page about Linux that you just know will be moved around,
> obscured in favour of "Dell recommends Microsoft Windows 8" "adverts",
> hidden, removed, lost, and so on, but that is only a useful shortcut because
> such sites make searching and navigation so awkward and awful otherwise.

But the Dell example is a landing page URL. In the PEP context this
would take you to the PEP index.

Given that the PEP index does not move around a lot (we only do website
redesigns every 5-7 years ;-)) and that you only save typing "dev/",
I don't think it's a use case that warrants adding and maintaining
extra DNS and Apache magic.

BTW: If this idea has some followers, it may be a good idea
for them to setup a separate domain just for this purpose and
maintain a list of redirects into the various Python websites.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 12 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/