[pydotorg-www] Google snippets vs target page

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Feb 14 09:51:30 CET 2013

On 14.02.2013 00:14, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> On 13.02.2013 23:34, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>> Not sure if this is the place to raise this or not.
>>>
>>> Often, when I do a Google search for Python docs, the displayed page
>>> title and snippet show version 3.3.0 docs, but clicking the link takes
>>> me to /2/ instead. Is there a discrepancy between the version seen by
>>> the crawler and the redirect given to a browser? Has something changed
>>> recently and this is just a transitional period? Is there some kind of
>>> settable preference to say "give me version 3 docs by default" and I
>>> just haven't seen it?
>>
>> Do you have an example ?
>>
>> I just tried a few queries, but Google always shows 2.x docs
>> and also links to the 2.x pages.
>
> I searched for 'python string format' and got this:
>
> string - Python v3.3.0 documentation
> In addition, Python's built-in string classes support the sequence
> type methods described ... It takes a format string and an arbitrary
> set of positional and keyword ...
>
> which then linked to the 2.7.3 docs.

Thanks. I get the same results. It is strange, though, that Google
uses that title for the link, since the cached version also points
to the 2.7 version of the page with title
"7.1. string — Common string operations — Python v2.7.3 documentation"

It is possible that during the transition to the new URL scheme,
Google picked up a Python 3 page under the URL and then stored
that for the page. It'll probably get corrected in one of the
next Google scans, I guess.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 14 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/