[pydotorg-www] [Python-ideas] Poll about -h,--help options

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:41:12 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it interesting to know if people expect -h to work as a --help equivalent
> by default?
>
> As it directly affects best practices of using Python in command line, can
> we run such poll on python.org? I thought that this stuff is obvious, but it
> appears that it is not, so I'd like to see this usability study - it will be
> interesting for the Python community to know itself better.

The argparse and optparse modules in the standard library expose help
via both -h and --help by default (and this is in the Python
documentation and in the help strings generated by those modules), so
I would expect Python users at least to be familiar with both
invocations:

http://docs.python.org/2/library/optparse.html#generating-help
http://docs.python.org/2/library/argparse.html#add-help

--Chris