[pydotorg-www] Fwd: Images used on Python.org website, and Facebook

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Feb 26 11:02:12 CET 2013

On 26.02.2013 09:33, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=176035
>>> http://schema.org/Thing or http://schema.org/SoftwareApplication
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?url=www.python.org&html=
>>>

>> https://developers.google.com/+/plugins/snippet/
>>

> To be more specific:
>
> <!-- Update your html tag to include the itemscope and itemtype attributes.
> -->
>
> <!-- Add the following three tags inside head. -->
> interactive, extensive programming language. It provides an extraordinary
> combination of clarity and versatility, and is open source and
> comprehensively ported.">
> ">

Thanks for the pointers.

Looks like supporting both Open Graph and schema.org would do the trick
for Facebook, Google+, MS and Yahoo.

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1211158

We'd probably have to use http://schema.org/Organization as itemtype.

I'm not sure about adding the itemscope to the <html> tag, though...

I found the docs for the use in meta tags:
http://schema.org/docs/gs.html#advanced_missing
but no mention of using <html> as itemscope.
https://developers.google.com/+/plugins/snippet/ suggests to use the

Since the meta tags would go into the header, perhaps using
the <head> tag would be more appropriate.

Is there some best practice for this documented somewhere ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 26 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/