[pydotorg-www] Fwd: Images used on Python.org website, and Facebook

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 11:31:41 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> On 26.02.2013 09:33, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com
> >wrote:

> they
> ,
> >>>>>>

> http://mikeeverhart.net/facebook/use-ogp-tags-to-change-images-when-sharing-links-on-facebook/

> http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?url=www.python.org&html=
> >>>

> >> https://developers.google.com/+/plugins/snippet/
> >>

> > To be more specific:
> >
> > <!-- Update your html tag to include the itemscope and itemtype
> attributes.
> > -->
> >
> > <!-- Add the following three tags inside head. -->
> interpreted,
> > interactive, extensive programming language. It provides an extraordinary
> > combination of clarity and versatility, and is open source and
> > comprehensively ported.">
> http://www.python.org/images/python-logo.gif
> > ">
>
> Thanks for the pointers.
>
> Looks like supporting both Open Graph and schema.org would do the trick
> for Facebook, Google+, MS and Yahoo.
>
> http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1211158
>
> We'd probably have to use http://schema.org/Organization as itemtype.

I'd try http://shema.org/Thing if it works, because www.python.org is a
community developed language. IMHO it should work. LocalBusiness is what
snippet generator gave me.

> I'm not sure about adding the itemscope to the <html> tag, though...
>
> I found the docs for the use in meta tags:
> http://schema.org/docs/gs.html#advanced_missing
> but no mention of using <html> as itemscope.
> https://developers.google.com/+/plugins/snippet/ suggests to use the
>
> Since the meta tags would go into the header, perhaps using
> the <head> tag would be more appropriate.
>
> Is there some best practice for this documented somewhere ?

I'd say feel free to insert as you wish - that's the best practice. I
believe that for blog platforms like blogger you can not add content to
head different for every post. The same is true for the site with many
different pages. In those cases it is better to insert the markup inside
the body. For python.org the whole www.python.org is dedicated to one
things, so I see no problem with adding this into head, body or html.