[pydotorg-www] [PSF-Members] [Infrastructure] Wiki news?

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Wed Jan 16 16:05:23 CET 2013

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> I've been able to recover the pages from archive.org and have also
> tried Google cache (which failed due to limits on the number of
> allowed requests) and Yahoo/Bing cache. The latter worked, but
> only returns a small fraction of the pages we have had in the wiki -
> about 300+ pages. They are more recent than the archive.org ones,
> though, so I'm trying to merge the Yahoo archive ones back into the
> archive.org recovery.
>
> I recovered around 4500 pages from archive.org... in HTML. Reimar
> has a tool to convert them back into wiki markup, which we'll
> try to use to prepare an import.
>
> Meanwhile I'm also trying to see whether we can still extract some
> data from the broken VM image. It does show traces of the wiki
> file contents, so the data still exists on the image in some
> form. Noah already tried extundelete with no success. I'm going
> to give some of the other tools a try as well, e.g. ext4magic
> or PhotoRec.

Phew, sounds like fun... thanks for everyone's work on this!

Can someone explain (to PSF members list) how it ended up that there
were no backups?  I'm not trying to put anyone on the spot, just trying
to (a) understand how this happened, making it so hard to recover, and
(b) make sure that python.org and other important resources _are_ being
backed up in a way that prevents this kind of thing from taking down
services for a long time.

Thanks,

- Stephan