[pydotorg-www] Changing default wiki permissions

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jan 24 16:48:00 CET 2013

On Jan 24, 2013, at 04:28 PM, Radomir Dopieralski wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> We're currently working on setting up the new VM with the
>> Python and Jython wikis.
>>
>> In order to increase security and also to help a bit with
>> avoiding spam/vandalism, we'd like to disable editing
>> of wiki pages without login.
>>
>> Any objections ?
>
>I don't really have any objections, but it may interest you that the
>last few spammer attacks on the wiki all registered random accounts
>automatically and logged in before posting their spam.

+1 for the change, although based on my experience with the (Confluence-based)
Mailman wiki, it won't help much.  We've resorted to adding a special
"authors" group and only allowing folks in that group to edit pages.  You have
to explicitly ask the Mailman cabal for permission to join the group.  Now the
only spam we get (and it is *way* less than it ever was) is in the actual
wiki-joining account information.

Cheers,
-Barry