[pydotorg-www] Python Decorators

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 17:08:23 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> On Saturday 02 March 2013 10:26:14 anatoly techtonik wrote:
> > The license clause is attached to MoinMoin wiki software, the code pieces
> > is a content and are not affected. GPL clause can be removed. It is not
> > needed (as the /moin/ prefix in the URL).
>
> Although the remark about the GPL applying to the MoinMoin software is
> correct, and thus the content is not GPL-licensed, this doesn't mean that
> the
> content is actually licensed in any explicit way whatsoever. In other
> words, "removing" the GPL (or actually not applying it to the content in
> the
> first place) doesn't give anyone any right to do anything with the content
> other than to use it on the Python Wiki itself.
>
> This is an unfortunate situation that was never resolved because I seem to
> remember some people regarding the unclear licensing as somehow being
> beneficial - the only benefit I can think of is that people perhaps don't
> spam the Internet with advertising-laden clones of the Python Wiki, but
> maybe
> these exist anyway - and so any content submitted to the Wiki is taking a
> one-way trip there.
>
> One could track down the authors of any pages to get their permission for
> further redistribution and use of their contributions, but no attempt has
> been made to do this in general.

I think it is fair to put non-HomePage wiki content to CC0 / Public Domain
unless specified otherwise. If you want to preserve your rights - go
publish the content in your blog and supply a link. Tracking down authors
is a useless activity - nobody will do this, so I'd not make things more
complicated for contributors and users. Wiki is for sharing, not for
placing restrictions on each other.
--
anatoly t.