[pydotorg-www] Editing the wiki

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Nov 19 13:01:14 CET 2013

On Tuesday 19. November 2013 00.57.18 Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> ​Yeah I figure out that much. I am trying to improve the Spanish page also
> wonder if I can link it to the frontpage of the wiki. I see many (like
> Chineese at https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide ) that insert a
> link on the header.
> JZA - SpanishLanguage
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/SpanishLanguage​

You should be able to update things like BeginnersGuide, which only needs you
to be a logged-in user for editing rights, so adding a link to SpanishLanguage
from that page should be possible. You also shouldn't have any problems
editing the SpanishLanguage page: there's no ACL on it, so it should be
editable by you.

The FrontPage is locked down a bit more because it's an easy target for
spammers and doesn't really need to change very much anyway. On that page,
there's a link to the Languages page, which is a listing of different
resources in languages other than English. If you think this should be more
prominent, we can probably make some edits to make these resources more easy
to find.

It is possible to have translated versions of pages in MoinMoin. If installed,
MoinMoin provides a page called PáginaInicial for Spanish-speaking visitors,
but it's possible to make such a page anyway and have it as a translated
version of FrontPage. I think some sites don't really encourage this because
it requires a lot of work from translators - you don't even see Wikipedia
trying to have the same content on its front page or even on most content
pages - but I don't have any objections to this in principle.

One example of providing translations of pages in MoinMoin is this:

http://wiki.fsfe.org/Advocacy_faq_en

Here, pages are marked with "#language xx" and also have a suffix "_xx" on the
page name (although you can also use translated page names if MoinMoin knows
about the translation), and I wrote an extension to allow the display of
translations for a given page (like similar Wikipedia/MediaWiki
functionality). I wouldn't have a problem with such functionality on the
Python Wiki, but it would need installing, and as far as I understand it the
system administrators are rather conservative about what they install.

Anyway, I hope this gives you some options.

Paul