[pydotorg-www] Editing the wiki

Alexandro Colorado jza at oooes.org
Tue Nov 19 14:04:52 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tuesday 19. November 2013 00.57.18 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> >
> > ​Yeah I figure out that much. I am trying to improve the Spanish page
> also
> > wonder if I can link it to the frontpage of the wiki. I see many (like
> > Chineese at https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide ) that insert a
> > link on the header.
> > JZA - SpanishLanguage
> > https://wiki.python.org/moin/SpanishLanguage​
>
> You should be able to update things like BeginnersGuide, which only needs
> you
> to be a logged-in user for editing rights, so adding a link to
> SpanishLanguage
> from that page should be possible. You also shouldn't have any problems
> editing the SpanishLanguage page: there's no ACL on it, so it should be
> editable by you.

​Thanks for your help, the reason why I wrote to the list is precisely
because I couldn't submit my editing to the SpanishLanguage page. Unless
the page has been recently unlocked. I'll try again.​

> The FrontPage is locked down a bit more because it's an easy target for
> spammers and doesn't really need to change very much anyway. On that page,
> there's a link to the Languages page, which is a listing of different
> resources in languages other than English. If you think this should be more
> prominent, we can probably make some edits to make these resources more
> easy
> to find.
>
> It is possible to have translated versions of pages in MoinMoin. If
> installed,
> MoinMoin provides a page called PáginaInicial for Spanish-speaking
> visitors,
> but it's possible to make such a page anyway and have it as a translated
> version of FrontPage. I think some sites don't really encourage this
> because
> it requires a lot of work from translators - you don't even see Wikipedia
> trying to have the same content on its front page or even on most content
> pages - but I don't have any objections to this in principle.
>
> One example of providing translations of pages in MoinMoin is this:
>
> http://wiki.fsfe.org/Advocacy_faq_en
>
> Here, pages are marked with "#language xx" and also have a suffix "_xx" on
> the
> page name (although you can also use translated page names if MoinMoin
> knows
> about the translation), and I wrote an extension to allow the display of
> translations for a given page (like similar Wikipedia/MediaWiki
> functionality). I wouldn't have a problem with such functionality on the
> Python Wiki, but it would need installing, and as far as I understand it
> the
> system administrators are rather conservative about what they install.
>
> Anyway, I hope this gives you some options.
>
> Paul

​I also want to know about the non-wiki site, and how can I add or request
changes (see my other email on the topic). If you know about this process
please let me know.​

​I include the raw text of the modified page, to see if someone else have
any issues applying the changes:
http://pastebin.mozilla.org/3635025​

--
Alexandro Colorad